What size turkey do I need?
For a generous serving allow 1 to 1 ¼ lbs per person.
What’s the difference between a hen and a tom turkey?
Hens are generally smaller than tom turkeys of the same age. Hens weigh less than sixteen pounds while toms always weigh over sixteen pounds. Tom turkeys have larger bones and less edible portions, which may be reason for hens as preference. However, age not gender is the determining factor for tenderness and all commercial turkeys are young and tender.
Which turkeys are Antibiotic free?
- Adams Antibiotic Free Fresh Turkeys, Bell and Evans and Organic Turkeys are certified no antibiotics administered.
- Adams Fresh Turkeys and Campanelli’s turkeys are raised in such a way where the use of antibiotics are only for the benefit of the bird.
Which turkeys are Hormone free?
- They all are! Federal regulations prohibit the use of hormones in raising turkeys.
What makes Organic Turkeys different?
- A certified organic turkey means that everything each turkey encounters environmentally and nutritionally is certified organic, including exclusively organic grains; abundant fresh, chlorine- and fluoride-free water; and even the ground on which it walks.
Why does the turkey feel stiff or frozen?
- Federal regulations require that fresh turkeys be kept between 28 and 32 degrees Fahrenheit to keep them safe. Meat does not freeze at this temperature, but water does. Moisture inside the turkey will freeze making it hard to the touch. We always take extra steps to provide our customers with the safest and highest quality turkeys around. The meat itself is not frozen at these temperatures and remains fresh so you can expect to serve a safe, juicy, tasty turkey.
When should I pick up my fresh turkey?
- We suggest, if it’s convenient, you pick up your turkey as early as you can, beginning the Sunday before Thanksgiving.
- Your fresh turkey, if handled properly, will stay fresh in your refrigerator 4-5 days.
How should I store my fresh turkey?
In the coldest area of your refrigerator, on the bottom shelf in the very back.
How long should I roast my turkey?
Refer to the cooking chart below to see how long in general you should cook your turkey based on its size. Remember, the internal temperature should reach 165° F to insure a safe and tasty turkey.