Smoked Gouda Carbonara
- 1 pound Spaghetti
- 5 Large egg yolks
- 1 Large egg
- 1 cup (4 oz) Smoked Gouda, finely shredded, plus more for serving
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- 1 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 6 oz Slab bacon, finely diced
- 3/4 tsp Crushed red pepper
- Boil a large pot of water and cook the pasta. Drain, setting aside 1 cup of the cooking water.
- Beat the egg yolks with the whole egg, 1 cup of Gouda, 1/2 tsp of salt and 2 tsp of black pepper. Slowly whisk in 1/2 cup of the reserved cooking water.
- Meanwhile, in a separate pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook 5 to 7 minutes, until softened, but not crispy. Add the cooked pasta, crushed red pepper and 1/4 cup of the reserved pasta cooking water.
- Cook, gently tossing, until the pasta is coated, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Move the pasta mixture to a large bowl and toss briskly until creamy, 1 to 2 minutes. Add more cooking water if needed. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide the pasta into bowls and serve with extra Gouda on the side.
Recipe adapted from FoodAndWine.com