- Yield: 12 servings
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cooking Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
- 9 oz Marinela Canelitas cookies (or Substitute 2 cups Graham Cracker crumbs + 1 tbsp Sugar + 1 tsp Cinnamon)
- ¼ tsp Kosher salt
- ¼ cup Unsalted butter, melted
- 24 oz Plain cream cheese, room temperature
- ¼ cup Sour cream
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 cup Brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 ¼ tsp Ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp Kosher salt
- 2 Large eggs, room temperature
- ½ cup Brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 tsp Ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp Corn starch
- 2 tbsp Cold water
Make the Crust
- Place the canelita cookies in a food processor or blender until it resembles sand, you should have 2 cups of crumbs.
- Put the cookie mixture into a large bowl, add the salt and melted butter. Mix until the butter is evenly distributed.
- Place a springform pan inside a 10-inch square disposable aluminum pan and bend it so it forms a barrier up against the springform pan. You can also use aluminum foil for this.
- Spray the inside of the springform pan with nonstick cooking spray, then add the crust mixture. Evenly press it into the bottom of the pan and about 1-inch up the side of the pan.
- Place the pan in to a roasting or baking pan you’ll use for a water-bath.
Make the Cheesecake Filling
- Place the softened cream cheese in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Turn the stand mixer on to low, slowly increasing to medium speed, beating the cream cheese until smooth, 30-45 seconds.
- Turn the speed down to low and add the sour cream and vanilla extract.
- Next add the brown sugar, followed by the cinnamon and salt and beat together for a minute.
- On low speed, add the eggs one at a time on low speed, mixing well before adding the next.
- Turn off the mixer and scrap down the sides and bottom of the bowl and mix on low for another 10 seconds. Set aside.
Make the Brown Sugar Cinnamon Swirl
- In a large bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, cinnamon and corn starch.
- Whisk in 2 tbsp of cold water until the mixture comes together.
Assemble the Cheesecake
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Pour half of the cheesecake into springform pan.
- Drizzle in half of the brown sugar cinnamon swirl.
- Carefully spoon on the rest of the cheesecake filling so it doesn’t disrupt the first swirl layer.
- Pour the rest of the swirl mixture on top of the cheesecake batter. Take a toothpick and insert it about an inch into the batter and move it around in circles to create swirls.
- Place the roasting pan in the oven, then fill the pan with water halfway up the side of the cake pan.
- Bake the cheesecake for an hour and ten minutes.
- Turn the oven off and leave the cheesecake inside the oven to rest for an hour.
- Remove the cheesecake from the oven, the roasting and the aluminum pan and allow to cool completely.
- Let set in the refrigerator overnight, or at least 6 hours.
- Once the cheesecake has set, gently remove the sides of the springform pan and move to a serving plate.
- When serving, garnish with a dollop of whipped cream, a sprinkle of cinnamon and a drizzle of cajeta or caramel.
Recipe adapted from ChicanoEats.com