Chai Pear Upside-Down Cake
- Yield: 10 servings
- 2 Pears
- 1/4 cup Demerara sugar
- 4 tbsp Water
- 3 tbsp Butter
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 4 Chai tea bags
- 3/4 cup Whipping cream
- 3/4 cup Almond meal
- 1/2 cup Flour
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Grease and flour a round cake pan.
- Peel the pears and cut into 1/4″ slices. Place them flat in a single layer on the bottom of the pan. You may not need all of the slices.
- Cook the water and demerara sugar in a small pan, stirring occasionally, until it begins to slightly caramelize, being careful not to over cook or it will harden like candy.
- Pour the sugar mixture evenly over the pears in the pan.
- Beat the butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Add in the contents of the tea bags and mix on low speed.
- On low speed, slowly add the remaining ingredients.
- Pour the batter evenly over the pears in the pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until a skewer comes out mostly clean.
- Let cake sit for 10 minutes, then place a plate over the top and flip it over to remove the cake from the pan.
Recipe adapted from StashTea.com