- Yield: 1 gallon
- 1 cup Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1 gallon Water
- 3 Bay leaves
- 2 Parsley sprigs
- 2 Fresh thyme sprigs
- Rind of 1 orange, optional
- Combine salt, sugar, thyme, bay leaves, parsley, orange peels, if using, and 1/2 gallon of water in a pot over high heat.
- Bring to a boil, then lower heat to simmer until sugar and salt are dissolved.
- Remove from the heat, add the remaining water and let cool completely.
- Place your turkey in a pot or other large container. Pour the brine over the turkey until it is completely submerged. Add more water if needed to cover the turkey.
- Put entire container back in the refrigerator and let sit for at least 6 hours.
- When ready to cook turkey, remove from brine and cook as usual.