- Yield: 5 half-pints
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cooking Time: 11 minutes
- 2 1⁄2 lb Ripe tomatoes, peeled
- 1⁄4 cup Lemon juice
- 3 tbsp Fresh basil, snipped
- 3 cups Sugar
- 1 3⁄4 oz Powdered fruit pectin
- Seed, core and finely chop tomatoes. Measure 3 1⁄2 cups chopped tomatoes and place in a 6 to 8 quart stainless steel, enamel or nonstick heavy pot. Bring to boiling, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Measure 3 1/3 cups tomatoes and return to pot. Stir in lemon juice and basil.
- In a small bowl combine 1⁄4 cup of sugar and the pectin. Stir into tomato mixture. Bring to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly.
- Stir in the remaining 2 3⁄4 cups sugar. Return to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly. Boil hard for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and quickly skim off foam with a metal spoon.
- Ladle hot jam into hot sterilized half-pint canning jars, leaving a 1/4-inch headspace. Wipe jar rims, adjust lids and screw bands.
- Process filled jars in a boiling-water canner for 5 minutes (start timing when water returns to boiling). Remove jars from canner and cool on wire racks.
*Submitted by Edie Knisell
Adams Fairacre Farms, Kingston
From Better Homes and Gardens