- 2 cups Black beans, drained with liquid reserved
- 1 clove Garlic, minced
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- Chile powder, to taste
- Cumin, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 Large corn tortillas
- 1 cup Oaxaca cheese, shredded
- 1 cup Cooked meat of choice, like chorizo or shredded chicken
- 1 cup Lettuce, chopped
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 Avocado, sliced
- 1/2 cup Crumbly cheese, like queso fresco
- Preheat oven to 450 F.
- Put beans in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic, onion, chile powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place the mixture in a blender. Add just enough reserved liquid from the beans to achieve a chunky-style purée and blend.
- Place one tortilla on a baking sheet or pizza stone and spread half of the beans on it. Add 1/2 cup of the Oaxaca cheese and 1/2 cup of the meat. Bake for 5 minutes.
- Remove and sprinkle with lettuce, diced tomatoes, sliced avocado and crumbly cheese. Bake another 3-5 minutes, until the toppings are hot and the tortilla is crispy around the edges.
- Repeat with the other tortilla.
- Top with salsa to taste. Eat them open-face, fold them in half or cut them into slices and serve.
Recipe adapted from MexicanFoodAndMore.com