Sweet and Sour Meatballs
- Yield: 6 servings
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cooking Time: 27 minutes
- 1 slice Soft bread
- 2 tbsp Water
- 1/2 lb Ground beef
- 1/2 lb Ground pork
- 1 Egg
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 1 tbsp Canola oil
- 1 Red bell pepper
- 1 Green bell pepper
- 2 cups Canned pineapple chunks with juice
- 1 tsp Garlic, minced
- 1 tsp Ginger, minced
- 1 1/4 cups Sugar
- 3/4 cup White vinegar
- 1/2 cup Ketchup
- 3 tbsp Corn starch
- 2 tbsp Low sodium soy sauce
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Tear bread into pieces, place in a food processor and process until the bread is in fine crumbs. Stir together the crumbs with the water and let sit for a few minutes.
- In a separate bowl, combine beef, pork, egg, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and breadcrumbs until just combined, careful not to overmix.
- Shape into 1.5-2 inch balls and place 1 inch apart on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, until a meat thermometer reads at 160 degrees F in the largest meatballs.
- Remove from the oven and set aside.
Sweet and Sour Sauce
- In a large skillet, sauté peppers in oil until softened.
- Add garlic and ginger and cook 1 minute.
- Stir in the pineapple chunks with juice.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together sugar, vinegar, ketchup, corn starch and soy sauce. Add to the pan with the peppers and pineapple.
- Add the meatballs, and simmer for 5-10 minutes until the sauce thickens and meatballs are warmed through.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Recipe adapted from TheRecipeRebel.com