Southern Collard Greens
- 1 tsp Olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups White onions, chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 3 lbs Fresh collard greens
- 1 lb Smoked turkey leg or wing
- 1 1/2 cups Chicken broth
- 1 tbsp Creole seasoning
- Dunk the collard greens in a bowl of water and scrub them clean, until the water runs clear.
- Remove the stems and slice the greens into smaller pieces.
- Heat oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook until translucent and fragrant.
- Pour in the chicken broth and deglaze the pan, scraping up the brown bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Add the greens to the pot in batches. You’ll need to let them wilt down and stir before fitting more in.
- Once all the greens are in the pot, add the Creole seasoning and turkey and bring to a boil.
- Cover the pot, lower heat to medium and cook for 2 hours, or until the greens are soft and the turkey is tender. Stir occasionally and check the tenderness of the greens.
- Remove the turkey from the pot and let side until cool enough to handle. Shred the meat and stir back into the greens.
Recipe adapted from StaySnatched.com