Southern Candied Sweet Potatoes
- Yield: 5 servings
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cooking Time: 1 hour
- 2 lbs Sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup Unsalted butter
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup Dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup White sugar
- 1 tsp Ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp Ground cloves
- 2 tsp Vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Peel and slice the sweet potatoes into rounds, 1/2 to 1 inch thick and place in 9×13 baking dish.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Stir in the cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, white sugar, brown sugar and salt. Cook until the sugars melt, but not syrupy.
- Remove glaze from the heat, stir in the vanilla extract and pour over the sweet potatoes.
- Cover baking dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Stir and baste the sweet potatoes so they are evenly coated. Recover and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes, until potatoes are tender.
- Allow potatoes to sit for 15 minutes.
- Stir and serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from StaySnatched.com