Smashed Chickpea and Avocado Panini
- Yield: 4 servings
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cooking Time: 10 minutes
IngredientsSmashed Chickpea and Avocado Salad
- 15 oz can Chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 Large ripe avocado, peeled and quartered
- 2 tbsp Basil, chopped
- 2 tbsp Italian parsley, chopped
- 2 tbsp Scallions, chopped
- 2 tbsp Freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Coarse salt
- Ground black pepper
- 4 tbsp Butter, at room temperature
- 8 slices Italian bread
- 4 tbsp Basil pesto
- 1/4 cup Roasted red peppers, sliced
- 4 oz Asiago or other sharp cheese, sliced
- Heat the panini press to medium-high heat.
- In a medium bowl, mash the chickpeas and avocado together, you can leave it a little chunky for better texture.
- Mix in the basil, parsley, scallions, lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread butter on two slices of bread. Flip over both slices and spread a thin layer of pesto on the other side of each slice. Then top one slice with cheese, a generous scoop of smashed chickpea and avocado salad, roasted red peppers and more cheese. Close the sandwich with the other slice of bread, buttered side up. Repeat for the remaining panini.
- Grill two panini at a time, with the lid closed, until the cheese is melted and the bread is toasted, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from PaniniHappy.com