Shrimp & Grits
- Yield: 4 servings
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- 2 cups Low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups Whole milk
- 1 cup Stone-ground grits
- 3 tbsp Unsalted butter
- 2 cups Sharp white cheddar, shredded
- 1 tsp Salt, plus more to taste
- 1 tsp Black Pepper, plus more to taste
- 1/2 lb Thick-cut bacon
- 2 lbs Large shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 1/2 tsp Red pepper flakes
- 1 clove Garlic, minced
- 1/2 Lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp Parsley, chopped
- Combine broth and milk in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Whisk in the grits, salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low and cook 10-15 minutes, until liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat and mix in the butter, cheese and more salt and pepper to taste if desired. Cover and set aside.
- Fry the bacon over medium-high heat until crisp. Then place on a paper-towel lined sheet. Once cool, chop into small pieces.
- Add the shrimp and red pepper flakes to the same pan, turn the heat down to medium, and sauté the shrimp for about 3 minutes, flipping them about halfway through.
- Turn off heat, add minced garlic and stir for about 30 seconds. Stir in the lemon juice and parsley, and season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Divide grits into bowls and top with the shrimp and bacon. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley.
- Serve immediately.