- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 cup Yellow onion, chopped
- 1 lb 90% lean ground beef, or ground lamb
- 2 tsp Dried parsley
- 1 tsp Dried rosemary
- 1 tsp Dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp All-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp Tomato paste
- 1 cup Beef broth
- 1 cup Frozen mixed peas & carrots
- 1/2 cup Frozen corn kernels
- 2 Large russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 8 tbsp Unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup Half & half
- 1/2 tsp Garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
Make the Meat Filling
- Cook the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. Add the onions and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the ground meat to the skillet, breaking it up with a spoon. Stir in the parsley, rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper. Cook for 6-8 minutes, until the meat is browned.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce and garlic to the meat and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the flour and tomato paste until well incorporated and no clumps remain.
- Add the broth, frozen peas, carrots and corn. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Make the Potato Topping
- Boil the potatoes until fork tender, 10-15 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and return them to the hot pot.
- Add butter, half & half, garlic powder, salt and pepper and mash until all the ingredients are mixed together and potatoes are creamy.
- Stir in the parmesan cheese until well combined.
Assemble the Casserole
- Pour the meat into a 9×9 inch baking dish and spread it into an even layer.
- Spread the mashed potatoes in an even layer on top of the meat.
- Place dish into oven and cook uncovered for 25-30 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes before serving.
Recipe adapted from TheWholesomeDish.com