Scallop Macaroni and Cheese
- Yield: Serves 8
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cooking Time: 40 minutes
- 1 (16-oz.) pkg. elbow macaroni
- 4 tbsp. butter, divided
- 1 lb. bay scallops
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3 1/2 cups lowfat or skim milk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar (6 oz.)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Parmesan (6 oz.)
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9×13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to boiling. Add pasta; cook al dente according to package directions. Drain; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan melt 1 tablespoon of the butter over medium heat. Add scallops; cook 3 minutes per side or until opaque. Transfer scallops to a plate; set aside.
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven melt remaining 3 tablespoons butter over medium-low heat. Stir in flour; cook and stir 2 minutes. Stirring constantly, gradually add milk; cook and stir 5 to 7 minutes or until sauce has thickened. Add Cheddar, Parmesan, salt and cayenne; cook and stir until cheese melts. Add pasta; stir to combine. Add scallops; gently stir to combine.
- Transfer mixture to baking dish. Sprinkle evenly with panko. Bake 20 minutes or until bubbly. Remove dish from oven.
- Preheat broiler to high. Broil 5 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Per serving: 592 calories, 21g fat, 11g saturated fat, 92mg cholesterol, 838mg sodium, 60g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 41g protein
*5 minutes stand time extra