Sausage and Rice Casserole
- 2 tbsp Extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 12 oz cooked Italian chicken sausage, sliced
- 1 cup Diced Red bell pepper
- 1 cup Diced Orange or yellow bell pepper
- 1 cup Diced Yellow onion
- 1 tsp Dried basil
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp Black pepper
- 1 cup Instant brown rice
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- Red pepper flakes, optional
- 1 cup Low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 15-oz can Fire-roasted tomatoes
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and brown on both sides, about 5 to 8 minutes total. Move sausages to a plate lined with paper towels.
- Wipe the skillet down with a paper towel and heat the remaining olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the bell peppers, onion, basil, salt and pepper and cook until the onion begins to soften and brown, about 3 minutes.
- Add the rice, garlic and red pepper flakes, stirring to combine well. Cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the chicken broth and tomatoes. Bring to a boil, stir again, then cover and simmer on low heat for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the sausage, re-cover the skillet and remove from the heat. Let stand 5 minutes, until most of the remaining liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender.
Recipe Adapted from WellPlated.com