Roasted Beef Short Ribs
- Yield: 6 servings
- Fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 tbsp Brown sugar
- 6 cups Beef stock
- 6 Beef short ribs, fat trimmed
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup Olive oil
- 1 Fennel bulb, large-diced
- 1 Leek, white part only, large-diced
- 2 Onions, chopped
- 6 stalks Celery, large-diced
- 2 Carrots, large-diced
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp Tomato paste
- 750 ml Cotes du Rhone, or other dry red wine
- Fresh rosemary sprigs
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Place the ribs on a sheet pan and season with salt and pepper to taste. Roast for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven then reduce temperature to 300 F.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add the fennel, leek, onion, celery and carrots and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for another 2 minutes. Add the tomato paste and wine. Increase to high heat and bring to a boil and continue cooking until liquid is reduced by half, about 10 minutes.
- Add 1 tbsp salt and 1 tsp pepper. Tie the rosemary and thyme sprigs together with kitchen twine and add to the pot as well.
- Place the roasted ribs on top of the vegetables in the Dutch oven. Add the brown sugar and beef stock and bring to a simmer over high heat.
- Cover the Dutch oven and bake for 2 hours, until the meat is very tender.
- Remove the short ribs from the pot and set aside. Discard the herbs and skim the excess fat.
- Place on the stove over medium heat for 20 minutes, until reduced. Put the ribs back into the pot and heat through.
- Serve ribs immediately with the vegetables and sauce.
Recipe adapted from FoodNetwork.com