Grilled Mussels and Chorizo
- Yield: Serves 6
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- 2 1/2 lbs. mussels
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 1/4 cups diced fennel
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 chorizo links, casings removed (about 1 lb.)
- 3/4 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
- Coat grill with nonstick cooking spray. Preheat grill to medium (300°F to 350°F). Remove beards from mussels, and scrub shells well with a brush. Discard open or cracked mussels.
- Place mussels in a grill basket or on aluminum foil. Grill mussels, covered, 8 minutes or until shells are fully open. (Discard any that do not open.) Transfer mussels to a large serving dish. Drizzle mussels with lemon juice, and season with pepper to taste. Tent with foil to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add fennel, onion and garlic; sauté 5 minutes or until fennel is tender. Add chorizo; cook and stir 5 minutes or until browned and crumbled. Add wine; bring to boiling. Reduce heat to low; simmer 2 minutes more. Spoon chorizo mixture over mussels. Sprinkle with parsley, and serve.
Per serving: 458 calories, 30g fat, 9g saturated fat, 92mg cholesterol, 991mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 32g protein