Grilled Mussels and Chorizo
- Yield: Serves 6
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- 2 1/2 lbs Mussels
- 2 tbsp Fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 1/4 cups Fennel, diced
- 1 cup Onion, diced
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 lb Chorizo, casings removed
- 3/4 cup White wine, or chicken broth
- 2 tbsp Fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- Preheat grill to medium heat.
- Coat grill with nonstick cooking spray.
- Remove beards from mussels, and scrub shells well with a brush. Discard open or cracked mussels.
- Place mussels in a grill basket or on aluminum foil. Grill mussels, covered, 8 minutes or until shells are fully open. Discard any that do not open.
- Transfer mussels to a large serving dish. Drizzle mussels with lemon juice, and season with pepper to taste. Tent with foil to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add fennel, onion and garlic. Sauté 5 minutes or until fennel is tender. Add chorizo and cook, stirring, 5 minutes or until browned and crumbled.
- Add wine and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer 2 minutes more.
- Spoon chorizo mixture over mussels. Sprinkle with parsley, and serve.