Cheese and Pepper Flautas
- 2 tbsp Vegetable oil, plus more for frying
- 2 Poblano peppers, sliced lengthwise
- 5 oz Cremini mushrooms, chopped
- ½ Yellow onion, sliced
- 3 cloves Garlic, thinly sliced
- ¼ tsp Kosher salt
- ¼ tsp Ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp Ground coriander
- ¼ tsp Ground cumin
- 8 oz Panela cheese, cut into 4-inch strips, ½ inch in thickness
- 12 Corn tortillas
- Diced Onions, shredded lettuce, sliced radish, sliced serranos, queso fresco and crema Mexicana for serving
- Heat 2 tbsp vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat.
- Once it starts to sizzle, add the poblanos, mushrooms and onion and cook until the onion becomes translucent, 6 – 8 minutes.
- Add the garlic and spices, cook for an additional 2 minutes and remove from heat.
- Heat the tortillas in the microwave for 30 to 45 seconds.
- Heat 1⁄2 inch of vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat.
- Once it starts to sizzle, take a tortilla and add about 1 tbsp of the sautéed poblano and onions, then add two strips of the panela cheese. Roll tightly and place in the skillet seam side down and fry for 2 – 3 minutes on each side until golden brown. Repeat with the remainder of the tortillas.
- Arrange the flautas on a plate and top with lettuce, onion, radish and serrano. Crumble queso fresco over the flautas and finish with a drizzling of crema Mexicana.
Recipe adapted from ChicanoEats.com