- olive oil
- 2 medium shallots, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3-4 portabella mushrooms, sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 medium tomatoes, diced (or 1 small can diced tomatoes with juice)
- 1 bunch arugula, chopped
- 5oz feta cheese, crumbled
- Italian or French bread
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil until shimmering. Add shallots and saute until translucent. Add garlic, mushrooms, basil, salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat until mushrooms soften.
- Stir in tomatoes. Add arugula and cook just until wilted, then add feta cheese.
- Slice bread in half length-wise, then in half or thirds cross-wise. Place two pieces, cut-side up, in shallow bowls and top with mushroom mixture. Sprinkle with more crumbled feta and chopped basil, if desired, and serve immediately.
Recipe by Vicki Day as published in Dutchess News