- Yield: 12 servings
- Prep Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
- Cooking Time: 1 hour
- 3 cups All-purpose flour
- 1 Egg, beaten
- 1 cup Lukewarm water
- 1 tsp White sugar
- 1 tsp Lard, melted
- 1 pinch Salt
- 1 1/2 cups Butter, melted
- 1 cup Toasted bread crumbs
- 1 cup Ground walnuts
- 3 1/2 lbs Apples - peeled and thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup Raisins
- 1 tsp Ground cinnamon
- 1 3/4 cups White sugar
- Place flour into a large bowl and mix in egg, water, 1 tsp white sugar, lard and salt. Knead dough until soft and smooth. Lightly brush with approximately 1 tbsp melted butter. Cover with a towel and let rest for 1 hour.
- Combine bread crumbs and 3/4 cup butter in a bowl. Stir in the ground walnuts, apples, raisins, cinnamon and sugar.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Lightly butter a medium baking dish.
- Dust a large work surface with flour. Place the dough on the surface and gently stretch the dough into a large, very thin rectangle as thin as tissue paper. Cut away thick edges so you have straight edges all around. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup melted butter. Spread apple mixture on to the dough, leaving a two inch border on all sides. Fold one end of the dough over the filling, then roll the dough to form strudel. Cut as needed so that it will fit the baking dish.
- Place strudel in the prepared baking dish and brush with the remaining butter.
- Bake until golden brown and apples are tender, about 1 hour.
Recipe adapted from AllRecipes.com