- Yield: Serves 4
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (3 cups)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne
- 1 (15-oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14.5-oz.) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- Toppings (optional): shredded Cheddar, light sour cream, cilantro sprigs
- Coat a large Dutch oven with nonstick cooking spray and place over medium heat. Add oil; heat 1 minute. Add sweet potatoes and onion; cook and stir 7 to 10 minutes or until slightly tender. Stir in garlic, cumin, chili powder, cayenne, and salt to taste.
- Add beans, tomatoes, broth and lime juice; stir well to combine. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, 15 to 20 minutes or until sweet potatoes are soft.
- Ladle chili into bowls. If desired, top with Cheddar, sour cream and cilantro, and serve.
Per serving: 195 calories, 4g fat, 1g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 592mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate, 7g fiber, 7g protein