Slow-Cooked Kidney Beans
- Yield: 16 servings
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cooking Time: 6 hours
- 6 strips Bacon, diced
- 1/2 lb Smoked Polish sausage or kielbasa, sliced
- 4 cans (16 oz ea) Kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 28 oz can Diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 Medium sweet red peppers, chopped
- 1 Large onion, chopped
- 1 cup Ketchup
- 1/2 cup Packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup Honey
- 1/4 cup Molasses
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Ground mustard
- 2 Medium unpeeled red apples, cubed
- Cook bacon until crisp. Remove from the pan and let dry on paper towels.
- Add the sausage to bacon drippings and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain and set aside.
- In a slow cooker, combine the beans, tomatoes, red peppers, onion, ketchup, brown sugar, honey, molasses, Worcestershire sauce, salt and mustard. Add in the bacon and sausage and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours. Stir in the apples. Cover and cook for an additional 2 hours, until bubbly.
- Serve warm.
Recipe adapted from TasteOfHome.com