Sicilian Eggplant Pasta
- Yield: Serves 4
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- 2 cups uncooked multi-grain penne pasta
- 2 tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1 to 2 Japanese eggplants, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chopped Roma (plum) tomatoes
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan (optional)
- In a large pot of water cook pasta al dente according to package directions. Drain; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large, high-sided pan heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir 2 minutes. Add eggplant; cook and stir 5 minutes or until softened. Add garlic and tomatoes; cook and stir 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add pasta to the pan; toss to combine and cook until heated through. Remove pan from heat. Add basil, and drizzle remaining oil over pasta; toss to combine.
- Spoon pasta into 4 serving dishes. Sprinkle with Parmesan (if desired), and serve.
Per serving: 233 calories, 8g fat, 1g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 9mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate, 7g fiber, 6g protein