- 1/4 cup All-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup Canola oil
- 3 Celery ribs, chopped
- 1 Medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 Medium onion, chopped
- 4 cups Chicken broth
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne pepper
- 2 lbs Uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 16 oz Frozen sliced okra
- 4 Scallions, sliced
- 1 Medium tomato, chopped
- 1-1/2 tsp Gumbo filé powder
- Hot cooked rice
- Place flour and oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 12 minutes, until caramel-colored. Being careful not to burn.
- Add the celery, green pepper and onion and cook another 5-6 minutes.
- Stir in the broth, garlic, salt, pepper and cayenne and bring to a boil.
- Cover the pot, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Mix in the shrimp, okra, scallions and tomato and return to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer until shrimp turn pink, about 10 minutes. Stir in filé powder.
- Serve warm over cooked rice.
Recipe adapted from TasteOfHome.com