Rib Roast with Herb Gravy
- Yield: Serves 6
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cooking Time: 2 hours, 15 minutes
- 2 tbsp. canola oil
- 1 (4-lb.) standing rib roast (2 ribs), trimmed
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14-oz.) can low-sodium beef broth
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 2 tbsp. butter or margarine
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh dill
- Preheat oven to 325°F. In a large Dutch oven heat oil over medium-high heat. Add beef; cook 5 to 6 minutes or until browned on all sides. Place beef on a rack in a shallow roasting pan, bone side down.
- In a small bowl combine onion, garlic, and salt and pepper to taste; rub and press evenly on all sides of beef. Pour broth into roasting pan.
- Roast 2 hours (135°F for medium-rare) or to desired doneness. Transfer beef to a cutting board, reserving drippings in pan. Cover beef loosely with foil; let stand 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for the gravy, skim fat from drippings (if desired); place in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour and butter, whisking constantly 1 minute or until smooth. Add parsley, thyme and dill; simmer over low heat 5 minutes or until slightly thickened. Carve beef, and serve with gravy.
Per serving: 568 calories, 45g fat, 19g saturated fat, 130mg cholesterol, 239mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 33g protein