Skip to content
Pork & Apple Stew
- 5 lbs Pork butt, cut into large cubes
- 2 White potatoes, cut into large cubes
- 2 Carrots, large diced
- 2 stalks Celery, large diced
- 1/2 White onion, diced
- 1/2 bag Frozen Brussels sprouts
- 1 Apple, cut into large cubes
- 4 cups Apple cider
- 4 oz Butter
- 1 tsp Ground sage
- 1 tsp Savory herb
- 3 cups Chicken broth
- 1/2 cup Beef broth
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Melt butter in a large, heavy pot over medium heat. Add the onions, carrots and celery and cook until soft, about 10 minutes. Carrots will still be a little hard, that’s a good thing.
- Toss the pork in just enough cornstarch to coat. Then place in the pot with the vegetables and brown on all sides as best as you can.
- Add in the chicken and beef broths, sage, savory herb and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook on high heat for 5 minutes, then reduce to medium-low heat and let it cook down for about 2 hours.
- Add the potato and cook, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Then add the Brussels sprouts and cook an additional 15 minutes.
- Add the apples and cook for another 10 minutes, they will stay a little crunchy.
- Test the thickness of the sauce, it should coat the back of a spoon. If you want it thicker, stir in a little cornstarch with beef broth while still on the heat.