Philly Steak Grilled Cheese
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1 lb Flank steak, partially frozen
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Coarse ground black pepper
- ½ tsp Kosher salt
- ½ cup Onion, very thinly sliced
- ½ cup Bell peppers, very thinly sliced
- ½ cup Button mushrooms, sliced
- ½ tbsp Cabot Unsalted Butter
- ½ cup Cold milk
- ½ tbsp Cornstarch
- 4 oz Cabot Cheese of your choice, try Horseradish Cheddar, Sharp Cheddar, White American or Yellow American
- Cabot Unsalted Butter
- 8 slices Sourdough bread
- Slice the steak very thinly, almost shaved. Toss with the Worcestershire sauce and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the steak, sprinkle it with the salt and pepper, turning occasionally to brown on all sides, about 8 minutes.
- Place the butter for the cheese sauce in a small saucepan over medium-low heat and let it melt. Stir the cold milk and cornstarch together and then pour it into the melted butter. Let it heat up slowly.
- Remove the steak and add the onions, peppers and mushrooms to the skillet. Let them cook until they are tender, about 6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When the milk mixture is warm (it will be frothy, but be careful not to scorch it), remove it from the heat and stir in the cheese until a smooth sauce forms.
- Once the vegetables are cooked, add them to the steak and toss to combine.
- Melt a small amount of butter in the skillet and add one slice of sourdough bread. Top the bread with the steak and veggie mixture. Spoon the cheese sauce over the steak and top with a second slice of bread.
- Grill both sides of the sandwich until golden brown, then repeat process for the remaining three sandwiches.
- Serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from CabotCheese.coop