Jack-O-Lantern Stuffed Peppers
- Yield: 8 servings
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cooking Time: 25 minutes
- 8 Orange bell peppers
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 Yellow onion, diced
- 1 lb Ground turkey
- 4 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups Cooked rice
- 15 oz can Black beans, rinsed and drained)
- 15 oz can Tomato sauce
- 1/2 tbsp Dried oregano
- 1/2 tbsp Dried basil
- 1/2 tsp Sea salt
- 1/4 tsp Black pepper
- 3/4 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Cut the tops off the peppers and clean the ribs and seeds from the inside. Cut jack-o-lantern faces on one side of each pepper and place in a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until translucent.
- Add ground turkey and garlic and cook for 7-10 minutes, breaking apart the meat as you go, until browned.
- Stir in the rice, black beans, tomato sauce, oregano, basil, salt and pepper. Cook for 3-5 minutes, or until the rice starts to absorb the sauce. Remove from heat.
- Add an equal amount of rice mixture into each pepper, then top with some of the shredded cheese.
- Pour 1 1/2 cups of water in the bottom of the baking dish. Bake, uncovered, for 10 minutes, until the cheese melts and the peppers soften.
Recipe adapted from WholesomeYum.com