Irish Cheddar Mac & Cheese
- 1 lb Macaroni, cooked
- 4 tbsp Kerrygold Unsalted Butter
- 3/4 cup Onion, diced
- Pinch of sugar
- 4 tbsp All-purpose flour
- 3 cups Milk
- 1 cup Heavy cream
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp Ground cloves
- Ground black pepper
- 1 cup Kerrygold Aged Cheddar, grated
- 1 cup Kerrygold Swiss Cheese, grated
- 1 1/2 cups Kerrygold Dubliner Cheese, grated
- 1/4 tsp Ground nutmeg
- 1 cup Breadcrumbs
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, a bit of salt and pinch of sugar and cook until onions are translucent.
- Add flour and cook another 2 – 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add milk and cream and whisk to fully combine. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, add clove and bay leaf and cook for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Turn off heat and remove bay leaf. Whisk in 1 cup each of the Kerrygold Cheddar and Swiss Cheeses, until incorporated. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Combine pasta and cheese sauce and mix well. Spoon into a 2 1/2-quart baking dish. Combine remaining cheeses, scatter over pasta and top with breadcrumbs.
- Bake for 8 – 10 minutes, until chees is melted and breadcrumbs are toasted.
- Serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from IrishCentral.com