Grilled Pesto–Turkey Meatball Sandwiches
- Yield: Serves 5
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cooking Time: 10 minutes
- 1 1/2 lbs Ground turkey
- 1/4 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 Egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 clove Garlic, minced
- 5 Sandwich rolls, split and lightly toasted
- 10 slices Mozzarella
- 1/4 cup Basil pesto
- In a large bowl combine turkey, panko, egg, Italian seasoning and garlic; season with salt and pepper to taste. Form into 20 (1 1/2-inch) meatballs. Place meatballs on a platter; cover and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Coat grill rack with nonstick cooking spray. Preheat grill to medium (300°F to 350°F). Thread 4 meatballs onto each of 5 skewers.† Grill skewers 4 to 5 minutes per side or until meatballs are cooked through (165°F). Transfer to a platter. Remove meatballs from skewers; discard skewers.
- Place 2 mozzarella slices on the bottom half of each roll. Fill each roll with 4 meatballs and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the pesto. Loosely wrap in foil and place on grill. Grill, covered, 1 to 2 minutes or until cheese begins to melt. Carefully remove and discard foil. Place sandwiches on individual plates, and serve.
*30 minutes chill time extra
†If using wooden skewers, soak at least 30 minutes before grilling to prevent burning.