Grilled Clams with Chorizo
- Yield: 4 servings
- 2 lbs Littleneck clams
- 3 tbsp Olive oil, divided
- 3 tbsp Dried chorizo, finely chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup Dry white wine
- 1 tbsp Fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Bread, for serving
- Sort through the clams, discarding any that are chipped or opened. Place in a bowl of cool water and soak for at least 20 minutes, then scrub each clam to ensure there is no remaining grit.
- In a medium skillet set over medium heat, combine 2 tbsp oil, chorizo and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until the garlic is golden and the chorizo is crisped, 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add the wine and cook for 1 minute. Then stir in the lemon juice and the remaining 1 tbsp of oil. Remove from the heat and cover.
- Preheat grill, or grill pan, over medium-high heat.
- Place the clams on the grill and cook, undisturbed, until the clams open widely, 7 – 15 minutes. Discard any clams that have not opened once most of the others are done.
- Using tongs, transfer the clams to a serving plate, retaining as much of their liquid as possible along the way.
- Spoon the chorizo drizzle over the clams. Garnish with the parsley and serve, with bread for dipping, if desired.
Recipe adapted from WashingtonPost.com