Goulash with Tomato Sauce
- Yield: 6 servings
- 14.1 oz De Rica Organic Finely Chopped Tomatoes
- 0.17 oz Cumin seeds
- 5 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 1.76 oz White flour
- 2.2 lbs Leg of beef
- 1 cup Red wine
- Salt, to taste
- 1/2 tsp Spicy paprika
- 2 tbsp Sweet paprika
- 2.2 lbs White onions
- Cut the leg of beef into bite-sized cubes. Dredge with flour and shake off the excess.
- Finely chop the onions and sauté them in olive oil and two tbsp of hot water in a casserole pan.
- When the onion begins to brown, add the flour-drenched beef cubes. Increase the heat slightly and braise the meat for 10 – 15 minutes, stirring frequently so it does not stick to the pan.
- Remove the pan from the fire. Add the paprika and mix well. Place the meat back on the fire and add the red wine. Season with salt. Stir and allow the alcohol from the wine to evaporate, cooking at medium-high heat for about 5 – 10 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, lower the heat and simmer with the lid on for 2 hours, stirring and adding hot water, as necessary. The cooking juices should thicken and the sauce will have an intense, shiny red-brown color.
- Towards the end, add the cumin seeds and adjust the salt as needed.
- Serve with polenta or gnocchi.
Recipe adapted from DeRica.it