German Red Cabbage
- Yield: 6 servings
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cooking Time: 2 hours, 15 minutes
- 1 1/2 lbs Red cabbage, very thinly sliced
- 1 Yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 Granny smith apple, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup Butter
- 2 tbsp Red currant jam or jelly
- 2-3 tbsp Red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup Vegetable broth
- 1 Bay leaf
- 3 Whole cloves
- 3 Juniper berries
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp All-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp Water
- Melt the butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and cook until just beginning to brown, 7-10 minutes. Add the cabbage and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in the apple, broth, bay leaf, cloves, juniper berries, jam, red wine vinegar, sugar and salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Add more broth as needed.
- Stir together the flour and water until dissolved then mix into the cabbage. Simmer for another minute. Add more salt, sugar and vinegar to taste.
Recipe adapted from DaringGourmet.com