Flourless Chocolate Cake
- 8 oz Bittersweet chocolate, chopped or broken into pieces
- 1/2 cup Butter
- 5 Eggs, room temperature
- 2/3 cup Sugar
- 2/3 cup Ground almonds (or almond meal)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease an 8″ spring-form pan and set aside.
- In a heat-proof bowl set over a saucepan of boiling water (make sure the bowl does not touch the water), melt chocolate and butter, stirring until smooth. Set aside to cool.
- Separate the eggs: place yolks in a large bowl and white in a medium bowl.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- Add sugar to the egg yolks and beat until thick and pale yellow, about 5 minutes.
- Stir ground almonds into chocolate mixture. Scrape into bowl containing egg yolk mixture and mix well.
- Carefully fold egg whites into chocolate mixture to just combine. Transfer to prepared pan and bake 20-25 minutes (it should spring back when lightly touched).
- Cool on a wire rack before removing from pan. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream or drizzle with hot fudge.