Flourless Chocolate Cake
- 8oz good quality bittersweet chocolate, chopped or broken into pieces
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 5 eggs, room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup ground almonds (or almond meal)
– Preheat oven to 350. Grease an 8″ spring-form pan and set aside.
– In a heat-proof bowl set over a saucepan of boiling water (make sure the bowl does not touch the water), melt chocolate and butter, stirring until smooth. Set aside to cool.
– Separate the eggs: place yolks in a large bowl and white in a medium bowl.
– Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
– Add sugar to the egg yolks and beat until thick and pale yellow, about 5 minutes.
– Stir ground almonds into chocolate mixture. Scrape into bowl container egg yolk mixture and mix well.
– Carefully fold egg whites into chocolate mixture to just combine Transfer to prepared pan and bake 20-25 minutes (it should spring back when lightly touched).
– Cool on a wire rack before removing from pan. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream or drizzle with hot fudge.