Fireside Mulled Cider
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken into pieces
- 2 quarts apple cider
- ½ teaspoon whole coriander seeds
- ½ teaspoon black peppercorns
- ¼ teaspoon whole cloves
- 4 strips orange zest (each about 2 inches long)
- 1 - 3 tablespoons light brown sugar or dark brown sugar (to taste)
1) Use a meat mallet or heavy saucepan to break the cinnamon stick into several pieces.
2) Toast spices in large saucepan over medium heat, shaking pan occasionally, until fragrant, 1 to 3 minutes.
3) Add cider, orange zest and sugar and bring to boil.
4) Reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes, using wide, shallow spoon to skim away foam that rises to surface.
5) Pour cider through fine-mesh strainer lined with coffee filter and discard spices and orange zest.
6) Serve. (Mulled cider can be refrigerated in airtight container for up to one week. Reheat before serving.)
Recipe courtesy of CooksCountry.com