Escarole and White Bean Soup
- Yield: Serves 10
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cooking Time: 35 minutes
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 (14.5-oz.) can petite diced tomatoes, drained
- 6 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 (15.5-oz.) cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 head of escarole, trimmed, coarsely chopped
- Shredded Asiago (optional)
- In a large pot heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, carrots and celery; cook and stir 5 to 8 minutes or until vegetables soften. Add garlic and seasoning; cook 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, broth and lemon juice; bring to boiling. Reduce heat; simmer 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in beans; cook 2 minutes. Gradually add escarole; cook and stir 3 minutes or until just wilted.
- Ladle soup into bowls, top with Asiago (if desired), and serve.
Per serving: 130 calories, 2g fat, 0g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 660mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate, 6g fiber, 5g protein