- Yield: Serves 16
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- 1 (12-oz.) bag fresh cranberries
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 (17.3-oz.) pkg. puff pastry, thawed according to package directions (2 sheets)
- 2 Granny Smith apples, cored, peeled, quartered and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 egg, beaten
- In a medium saucepan combine cranberries, 1/2 cup of the sugar, plus cloves, cinnamon and 1/2 cup water; cook 10 minutes or until cranberries burst and the mixture is slightly thickened. Remove from heat; let cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. For the turnovers, cut each pastry sheet into 4 equal squares. Cut each square diagonally in half to form 16 triangles.
- Place a few apple slices, overlapping, on one side of each triangle. Top apples with 1 to 2 tablespoons of the cranberry mixture. Sprinkle evenly with half the remaining sugar.
- Using a pastry brush, brush egg on the edges of each triangle. Fold the pastry over the filling; use a fork to crimp edges to seal. Brush the top of each turnover with egg, and sprinkle with remaining sugar. Place on a baking sheet. Bake 20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Per serving: 171 calories, 8g fat, 2g saturated fat, 6mg cholesterol, 149mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 2g protein