Panzanella Bread Salad
- 4 cups tomatoes (cut into large chunks)
- 4 cups day old bread* (Italian loaf, cut into large chunks)
- 1 cucumber (skinned, seeded, cut into large chunks)
- 1⁄2 red onion (chopped)
- 1 bunch fresh basil (torn into pieces)
- 1⁄4 to 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mix everything together and let marinate, covered, at room temperature for at least 30 minutes, up to 12 hours.
- Do not refrigerate or you will destroy the texture of the tomatoes.
*Submitted by Aroma Osteria Restaurant
*If you don’t have hard day old bread, you can take fresh crusty bread, cut it into big cubes, lay the cubes out on a baking sheet, and put in a 300 degree oven for 5-10 minutes, until the outer edges have dried out a bit (not toasted, just dried). If you use fresh bread without doing this, the bread may disintegrate into the salad.