Classic Braised Brisket
- Yield: Serves 10 to 12
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cooking Time: 6 hours, 4 minutes
- 5 cups Onions, sliced
- 2 tbsp Vegetable oil
- 5 - 6 lbs Beef brisket
- 3 tbsp Spicy brown mustard
- 12 oz Brown ale beer
- 1 tbsp Brown sugar
- 5 cups Beef broth
- 2 - 3 Fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 cups Carrots, sliced
- Place onions in the bottom of a 4-quart slow cooker.
- In a large, deep skillet heat oil over medium-high heat. Rub both sides of beef with mustard, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Add beef to skillet and cook 2 to 3 minutes per side or until well-seared. Transfer to the slow cooker.
- Return skillet to medium heat and add beer. Using a wooden spoon, stir to loosen up any browned bits. Add brown sugar and broth; stir until well-combined. Pour over beef in slow cooker. Add thyme sprigs.
- Cover and cook on HIGH 5 hours.
- Add carrots to slow cooker. Cover and cook 1 hour more or until beef is fork-tender.
- Transfer beef to a cutting board. Thinly slice against the grain, and place on a platter. Drizzle with some of the cooking liquid, and serve with cooked onions and carrots.