Growing Clematis on a Patio
Clematis grown in containers are a beautiful way to add height to a patio or courtyard garden. Choose a container 18″ in diameter for a single clematis plant. For larger containers consider planting two or more plants per container.
- Use obelisk supports or canes tied wigwam fashion.
- Place root crown 2.5″ below soil surface.
- Cover soil surface with low growing plants to provide shade for root system.
- Loosen out main base roots prior to planting.
- Use loam-based compost such as John Innes No. 3.
- Base drainage aided by layer of small stones or pea gravel.
- Place pebbles or broken pottery over drainage holes.
- Terracotta or wood make best materials. Ensure good drainage.
Information courtesy of RaymondEvisonClematis.com