Whole-Grain Apple Pancakes
- Yield: Serves 5
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cooking Time: 25 minutes
- 2 red-skinned apples, cored and finely diced
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp. whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup lowfat ricotta cheese
- 1 egg plus 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup lowfat or nonfat buttermilk
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Maple syrup or powdered sugar (optional)
- Place apples in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH 2 1/2 to 3 minutes or until softened. Remove from microwave; let cool 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl combine whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon; mix well.
- In a medium bowl whisk ricotta, egg and egg white until well-combined. Whisk in buttermilk and vanilla. Add ricotta mixture to flour mixture, stirring until just combined.
- Lightly coat griddle with nonstick cooking spray. Heat griddle over medium heat. For each pancake, spoon 1/4 cup batter onto griddle. Scatter 1 to 2 tablespoons of diced apples over each pancake. Cook 2 to 3 minutes per side or until golden brown. Transfer to a platter. Repeat with remaining batter and apples. Serve with maple syrup or powdered sugar, if desired.
Per serving: 180 calories, 3g fat, 2g saturated fat, 45mg cholesterol, 250mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate, 3g fiber, 10g protein