Grains and Green Bean Salad
- Yield: Serves 4
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cooking Time: 1 hour
- 1 cup wheat berries
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 12 oz. fresh green beans, trimmed and halved on the bias
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp. minced shallot
- 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted (optional)
- In a saucepan combine wheat berries and broth. Place over high heat; bring to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cook, covered, 1 hour or until liquid is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to boiling. Add beans; cook 4 to 5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain, then immediately place beans in a large bowl of ice water. Let stand in ice water 3 minutes. Drain; transfer to a large serving bowl.
- For the dressing, in a small bowl whisk together vinegar, shallot, mustard and thyme. Gradually whisk in oil until well-combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste; set aside.
- In a large serving bowl combine wheat berries and beans. Add dressing; toss to coat. Sprinkle with toasted almonds (if desired), and serve.
Per serving: 334 calories, 15g fat, 2g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 165mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate, 7g fiber, 8g protein