Cranberry Toaster Pies
- Yield: Makes 4 Toaster Pies
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cooking Time: 25 minutes
- 1 (12-oz.) pkg. fresh cranberries
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 oranges
- 1 (15-oz.) pkg. ready-made piecrust (2 crusts)
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- For the filling, in a medium saucepan combine cranberries and granulated sugar. Zest and juice 1 of the oranges; add to saucepan. Place over medium-high heat. Cook and stir 10 minutes or until cranberries burst and mixture thickens. Remove from heat; let cool completely. (This can be done 1 day ahead.)
- For the toaster pies, preheat oven to 350°F. Working with 1 crust at a time, place crust on a lightly floured surface. Using a rolling pin, roll out crust to a 10×8-inch rectangle. Cut into 4 equal rectangles. Repeat with second crust.
- Spread 2 to 3 tablespoons of the cooled filling in the middle of each of 4 crust rectangles. Brush some of the egg white on 1 side of each of the 4 remaining crust rectangles. Place crust, egg-white side down, over the filling, matching up edges of dough. Lightly press edges together with a fork, crimping crust to seal.
- Using a fork, prick tops of toaster pies to vent steam. Brush tops of pies with remaining egg white, and place pies on a baking sheet. Bake 15 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool completely.
- For the glaze, squeeze remaining orange for 2 tablespoons juice. In a small bowl combine powdered sugar and 2 tablespoons juice. Drizzle on top of each toaster pie, and serve.
Per serving: 610 calories, 28g fat, 12g saturated fat, 12mg cholesterol, 558mg sodium, 92g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 4g protein