Classic Braised Brisket
- Yield: Serves 10 to 12
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cooking Time: 6 hours, 4 minutes
- 5 cups sliced onions
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 5 to 6 lbs. beef brisket
- 3 tbsp. spicy brown mustard
- 1 (12-oz.) bottle brown ale beer
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- 5 cups beef broth
- 2 to 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 1. Place onions in the bottom of a 4-quart slow cooker. In a large, deep skillet heat oil over medium-high heat. Rub both sides of beef with mustard, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Add beef to skillet; cook 2 to 3 minutes per side or until well-seared. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Return skillet to medium heat; add beer. Using a wooden spoon, stir to loosen up any browned bits. Add brown sugar and broth; stir until well-combined. Pour over beef in slow cooker. Add thyme sprigs.
- Cover and cook on HIGH 5 hours. Add carrots to slow cooker. Cover and cook 1 hour more or until beef is fork-tender. Transfer beef to a cutting board. Thinly slice against the grain, and place on a platter. Drizzle with some of the cooking liquid, and serve with cooked onions and carrots.
Per serving: 415 calories, 12g fat, 4g saturated fat, 165mg cholesterol, 248mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 58g protein