Vicki Day Makes Creme Brulee
Preheat oven to 325 Degrees
- 4 cups HEAVY CREAM
- 1 cup plus 5 tablespoons SUGAR, divided
- 1 teaspoon VANILLA
- 10 large EGG YOLKS
- Hot water for water bath
- In a large saucepan, combine cream, 1 cup sugar and vanilla. Scald over medium heat (until small bubbles form around edges), 8-10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk egg yolks until smooth. Add one ladle of hot cream mixture and whisk to combine. Add rest of cream one ladleful at a time, whisking constantly.
- Divide evenly among ten 6oz ramekins. Place ramekins in a large flat roasting pan and add enough very hot water to come halfway up sides of ramekins.
- Bake about 30-35 minutes until just set. Carefully remove from oven to avoid splashing water into custards and let rest in water bath until just cool enough to handle. Remove from water bath, wiping bottoms of ramekins dry. Cover ramekins with plastic wrap and chill, at least 3 hours.
- Just before serving, sprinkle each custard with about 1½ teaspoons of sugar. Broil just until sugar melts and caramelizes (2-3 minutes) or use a brulee torch 2 inches from top of each ramekin. Serve immediately.